One of the funding programmes presented by the European Union for 2021-2027 is the Creative Europe programme (CREA), which supports the culture and audiovisual sectors. We will be giving you an overview of the programme’s salient points, to help you identify whether you can benefit from this funding.
The Creative Europe programme falls under Heading 2 (Cohesion, Resilience and Values) in the EU funding structure, and its focus for 2021-2027 will be on:
- Actions that reinforce cultural diversity
- Actions that respond to the needs and challenges of the cultural and creative sectors
- Actions that reinforce the efforts of these sectors to become more digital, greener, more resilient and more inclusive
Its total budget is estimated at 2.44 billion Euro and is split between the three strands of the programme:
33% for the CULTURE strand
58% for the MEDIA strand
9% for the CROSS-SECTORAL strand
Purpose of the programme
The two main objectives of Creative Europe are:
- Safeguarding, developing and promoting European cultural and linguistic diversity and heritage
- Increasing the competitiveness and economic potential of the cultural and creative sectors, especially the audiovisual sector
The programme is divided into three strands, to ensure more specific measures are taken to help the cultural and creative sectors.
The CULTURE strand focuses on initiatives within the cultural sector, such as the promotion of cross-border cooperation, platforms, networking, and literary translation
The MEDIA strand is dedicated to the audiovisual sector and seeks to promote the development, distribution, or access to audiovisual works
The CROSS-SECTORAL strand facilitates collaboration across creative sectors and covers the news media sector
Who can participate?
- All EU Member States
- EFTA countries which are part of the European Economic Area (EEA)
- Acceding countries, candidate countries and potential candidates
- European Neighbourhood Policy countries (in specific actions)
Check out the full list here.
The eligibility criteria varies according to the nature of the action and is always specified in the call documents.
Need more help?
Creative Europe has Creative Europe Desks in each country to deal with country-related issues. You can find more information here:
Are you interested in checking out the calls that Creative Europe has to offer? Browse through the Funding and Tenders Portal.
At AcrossLimits we are always ready to help you write proposals for programmes such as Creative Europe, so get in touch with us on [email protected] if you have any concepts you would like to share or if you need any guidance!